Student-Athletes with IEP and 504 Plans

Student-athletes who received accommodations in high school based on an Individual Education Plan [IEP] or 504 Plan are eligible to receive similar accommodations while enrolled in college. These student-athletes need to obtain a copy of their last evaluation,¬† and a copy of the IEP or 504 Plan, then schedule a meeting with the College’s Office of Disability Services to determine what accommodations the college is able to offer to the student-athlete.

Be proactive and schedule the meeting to ask for accommodations BEFORE you get behind in your classes. It is understandable to wonder how you will perform academically on your own. However, it can be quite damaging to try to achieve the same academic results you received in high school with accommodations while attempting college-level work without accommodations. If you get a low grade-point average, you will have to play catch up for the remainder of your collegiate career. Help yourself by allowing others to help you.

Remember, it is still possible to achieve a 4.0 grade-point average this semester if you ask for the help the law says you are entitled to receive.

, , ,

Comments are closed.

Copyright© 2015 All Rights Reserved.