The SAT and SAT Subject Tests are offered overseas six times a year: in October, November, December, January, May, and June. Last year, over 200,000 students took the SAT in over 175 countries
International SAT test takers can choose from more than 1,000 international test centers listed online in the student area of the SAT website. In most countries, students living more than 121 km (75 mi) from the nearest test center can request that the testing agency open a testing center closer to their home. Occasionally, supplementary test centers are opened on request.
Special support services available
The College Board’s International Education [IE] Office, located in Washington, D.C., maintains strong contacts with counselors and administrators serving American schools overseas and with educational advisors attached to U.S. embassies worldwide. IE works closely with the SAT Program, and the SAT International Services Program on issues related to testing overseas.
Costs for students to test overseas
- Students are charged an additional international processing fee for extra services that ensure the same standards of quality, service, shipping, and security for the international administrations as pertain in the United States [US]. DHL express mail service ensures rapid delivery of test materials and answer sheets to and from the testing sites.
- Because of theextraordinary security measures required in India and Pakistanthere is an additional surcharge for testingin those countries.
- In addition, students testing in Canada must pay Harmonized Sales Tax [HST] (13141-4468RT), and students testing in Quebec must pay Quebec Sales Tax [QST] on the Goods and Services Tax [GST]. Students testing in Europe should include Value added tax [VAT].
Restrictions apply to registering and taking the SAT in some areas of the world. In some cases, students may need to apply by mail or through an SAT International Representative.
SAT fee waivers are available to US citizens whose families meet the income guidelines, and to non-US citizens who test within the US, US. territories, or Puerto Rico. Fee waivers cover the testing fee,
the international processing fee, and, if applicable, the
additional surcharge for testing in India or Pakistan.
Registering through an SAT International Representative
To register through an SAT International Representative, students must:
- Complete the paper Registration Form and enclose it in the registration envelope provided with The Paper Registration Guide for the SAT and the SAT Subject Tests.
- Print the name and address of the appropriate SAT Representative on the blank label provided, and place it on the envelope as directed.
- Use an acceptable payment method, as listed in the registration booklet. Representatives do not accept credit cards for SAT registrations.
- Send the registration with full payment to arrive at the Representative’s officeby the early registration deadline. Not all countries have SAT International Representatives. For further questions, students should contact the nearest Overseas Advising Center.
International registration dates and deadlines
International Registration Deadlines Early
International Registration Deadlines Regular
|November 5, 2011||SAT &SAT Subject Tests||September 27, 2011||October 7, 2011|
|December 3, 2011||SAT &SAT Subject Tests||October 25, 2011||November 8, 2011|
|January 28, 2011||SAT &SAT Subject Tests||December 20, 2011||December 30, 2011|
|May 5, 2012||SAT &SAT Subject Tests||March 27, 2012||April 6, 2012|
|June 2, 2012||SAT &SAT Subject Tests||April 24, 2012||May 8, 2012|
NOTE: The normally scheduled November 5 SAT test date falls during a time of Muslim religious observance, Eid Al Adha. To avoid any difficulties for students of the Islamic faith, the November 2011 SAT has been rescheduled to Saturday November 19, 2011, in certain countries.
Important information regarding international registration deadlines
- International deadlines apply to anyone testing outside of the United States and U.S. territories.
- International registration materials must be received by the international deadlines. Deadlines expire at midnight Eastern Time.
- There is no late registration for international testing. Online and telephone registrations must be completed by the international deadline dates listed above.
- Students registering through International Representatives must submit their paper registration with full payment by the early registration deadline.
- The SAT is not offered in March outside of the United States and U.S. territories.
- Sunday administrations usually occur the day after each Saturday test date, for students who cannot test on Saturday due to religious observance.
- The Language with Listening Tests are offered only in November.